Friday, April 15, 2005

Poster Count

Since my last count the poster situation in Aberdeen has changed somewhat. I can't find any of the WARNING posters which I'd counted before. I have found 6 (or possibly 7, my memory isn't what it used to be) new New Labour posters. They are on the one hand more subtle, but on the other more sickening and emotionally exploitative. So much so that I can't bring myself to tell you what they say. They all use pictures of children and they are all about the terrible Conservatives.

Before you jump down my throat, remember that I dislike the Tories just as much, if not more, than the next person. The problem is that in Aberdeen South, where all 6 (or 7) of these posters are on display, there is no chance of the Conservatives winning. The clever people at Electoral Calculus are currently predicting a Labour majority of around 4,700 over the Liberal Democrats. Not the Tories. The Tories are a further 3,000+ votes behind the Lib Dems in the predictions. The choice in Aberdeen South is between Labour and the Lib Dems.

The Conservatives are not going to win the general election. Electoral Calculus is predicting a Labour majority of 108 as I write this. These posters are nasty scaremongering and I don't like them. It is New Labour spinning the truth in the way we've come to know and love not believe.

In other poster news, I still haven't seen any Lib Dem posters in Aberdeen South. I mentioned that I was going to put up some Backing Blair posters but in the end I decided against it. I feel a bit better because I spotted that someone else has taken the trouble to put some up. Well done that person. I have been messing about with the Tory poster creator thing that everyone has been having fun with but I can't get any to post. Hopefully I'll get it sorted out in due course.

Unrelated Weather News
It is ridiculously cold in Aberdeen today. I've been out and about and I can tell you that spring is most definitely not in the air. I even noticed a brass monkey on the look out for some missing items. I offered to help but he would only say that a couple of personal attributes had frozen off. Strange, I wonder what they were?

No comments: