Tuesday, April 05, 2005

It's Rethink Number 867

Writing this is slightly awkward because the cat has decided that I should feed him and he is becoming quite persistent about it. I’m not being intentionally cruel. It's just that he’s not allowed to eat anything because he’s getting a tooth out tomorrow. You can’t explain that to a cat and he has decided that I am ignoring him. Every time I reach for the mouse I get a friendly claw in the back of the hand. Unfortunately, it is a friendly claw which is also very sharp. I’ve given up with the mouse for now; the back of my hand is starting to look like a pin cushion. Ouch.

Anyway, I’ve been talking to a few people about my blog and I’ve made a decision about it. In a nutshell, I’ve realised that there is a big difference between knowing about a subject and being able to write well on it. I’m stubborn so this has taken a long time for this to sink in. I’ve spent a lot of time checking out facts but I’m not a professional journalist and I know I’ve made a few mistakes (for example, I said that there wouldn’t be a PMQ’s before the election). I was trying to do too much. Apart from anything else, I do need to spend more time away from this desk. So I’m going to cut down on my blogging, especially about things I don’t know enough about. It’s going to be more opinions and not so many facts (Fox News appears in these brackets for no particular reason).

The cat has jumped off the desk, I have mouse power again, joy!

I actually feel pretty happy about this decision. I’ve started to read more blogs from the UK and around the world so I know that the important information is already out there. I’ll be linking to posts on issues that I feel strongly about rather than trying to write about everything myself. I suppose part of my problem was that I don’t really know many people who have a similar world view to my own. Hopefully, I’ll meet lots more in my travels through the world of blog.

OK, that’ll do for now. I will be messing about with the layout and design of the blog a bit more. I can’t decide if I’ll do it tonight or tomorrow at this stage. A cup of tea should help me decide one way or the other. I have definitely decided to change my posting name to Curious Hamster. I can’t think of a rational explanation for wanting to do this, but I’m going to do it anyway. I suppose we all have to be a bit irrational now and again. We wouldn’t be human if we didn’t.

No comments: