Sunday, March 06, 2005

Iraqi Prime Minister

On 12:02:05 I read this article by Naomi Klien in the Guardian newspaper:
Sorry George, but Iraq has given you the purple finger

A previous post relating to this article can be found here.

Today I noticed that the BBC and others were reporting that Iraq sets day for assembly meet. The first meeting will be on 16th March.

I don't have an detailed knowledge of Iraqi politics and realise that many complex isues need to be resolved. All the same I can't help but note that the decision on who will be the next Prime Minister has still not been made. It will continue to be discussed in the assembly if necessary. The report states that "Interim Prime Minister Iyad Allawi, whose party got 40 seats, is also bidding to keep his job." This is a bid against Mr Jaafari who's UIA party got 140 seats.

At the risk of sounding simplistic I just have to repeat that Mr Allawi and his party got 14% of the vote at the election. To me this doesn't seem like a great mandate for a bid to retain the most powerful job in the new democratic Iraq. Mr Allawi would appear to disagree.

No comments: