Sunday, March 27, 2005

How good was Who?

The new series of Doctor Who started on BBC 1 last night. My childhood memories of watching Doctor Who are partly clouded by the sofa I used to hide behind. I still watched it every Saturday and looked forward to the next episode in the way that only a fanatic schoolboy can. It is, I believe, an experience shared by many people my age. I don't watch much TV these days, my attention span is variable at best, but I made the effort to be sitting in front of the box at 7pm with a cup of tea. Was I disappointed?

The surprisingly straightforward answer is no. It was the business. I was going to try to explain why it is so good but I don't need to. I read Who's back on What You Can Get Away With. What point is there in me trying to write what I thought when it's already been written. Read it. It's a lot better than what I would have come up with. If you didn't see Doctor Who yesterday, well why not? I'll be watching every Saturday for the rest of the series. If you know me, don't phone me when it's on, I won't be pleased.

On a marginally related issue, so far I've only ever linked to posts which I like (with one early, and rather bizarre exception, which I've since deleted). If I read a blog I don't agree with or don't like, well, I don't feel any need to point it out. That's not to say I'll never do it, but in general I don't see what use it would be. I have a question about this and I can't decide on an answer. The question is, does this approach mean I'm a sycophantic creep, or does it mean I'm a nice friendly guy? I guess I'm not in the best position to make the call.

No comments: