Saturday, March 05, 2005

Why won't they show us?

Earlier today I was listening to Any Questions on BBC Radio 4. Lord Falconer was attempting to defend the decision not to publish the full legal advise with regard to the invasion of Iraq. He said catagorically that absolutely no pressure was put on the Attorney General Lord Goldsmith to state that the invasion was legal. I've just listened to it again and I just don't know what to say. The full legal advise is not going to be released, according to Lord Falconer, because if it was released then the government would be deterred from taking legal advise in the future. I don't understand. Am I being hopelesly naive or does this just not make any sense? Nobody else on the panel seemed to understand it either so at least I'm not alone.

If you want to hear what Lord Falconer said the link below should open the BBC Radio 4 homepage in a new window. Any Questions? on Saturday is the programme you want. The discussion on the legal advise for war starts around 30 minutes in.

BBC Radio 4 News & Current Affairs

The programme will only be on this page for a week so if it is after the 12th March '05 it won't be there. I probably ought to point this out; it only just occurred to me.

No comments: