Sunday, September 04, 2005

Missing in Action

While looking for something else, I happened to read the speech Bush gave when he said "major combat operations in Iraq have ended".
Major combat operations in Iraq have ended. In the battle of Iraq, the United States and our allies have prevailed.
There's been a bit of fuss since he said this, as I'm sure everyone knows. These days the Whitehouse says the President was not declaring victory in Iraq, but some other, oh I forget what nonsense it is they use. I suppose their argument is based on some definition of "prevail" I'm not aware of.

I also noticed this belter in the speech, which I thought worth highlighting again.
We've removed an ally of al Qaeda, and cut off a source of terrorist funding.
Let's not mince words, that's just a downright lie, end of.

Anyway, I noticed that you can actually a view recording of the speech via that Whitehouse link. If you view it for a few seconds you'll see that the cameraman appears to have used quite a tight shot of the President. Unfortunately, this means you can't see what's just behind and above him. That seems a shame considering that someone (in the Whitehouse) took the time to make it. Fear not though, here's a photo of it instead.

No comments: