Thursday, September 08, 2005

ID Cards Negotiate World Peace

I'd like to draw your attention to a new public service broadcast describing the many advantages of ID cards. Gold Standard.

I'm with Tony McNulty myself:
Perhaps in the past the government, in its enthusiasm, oversold the advantages of identity cards. We did suggest, or at least implied, that they might well be a panacea for identity fraud, for benefit fraud, terrorism, entitlement and access to public services.
Tony McNulty, Home Office minister, 4th August 2005.

Having said that, I am assuming the words "did suggest, or at least implied" are political code for "explicitly claimed for a sustainted period in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary".

Update
Nosemonkey slaps Saftey Elephant.
We need a proper sodding opposition to these dangerous, ill-thinking bastards, and we need one now.
I concur.

No comments: