Saturday, June 04, 2005

What Would Jules Say?

I've decided to try to avoid politics in my weekend posts as a general rule of thumb. Here's a science story from the Guardian:
Journey to the centre of the Earth

Japanese researchers are going to "bore through 7,000 metres of crust below the seabed while floating in 2,500 metres of water - requiring a drill pipe 25 times the height of the Empire State building."
Is that cool or what? They're going to try to break through the Earth's crust and take samples of the mantle. Far out dude!

I'm not a scientist but I think I can add a little to the research:
The team wants to retrieve samples from the mantle, six miles down, to learn more about what triggers undersea earthquakes...
Here's my prediction. Scientists will discover that drilling a sodding great hole in the crust will be one of the triggers for undersea earthquakes.
I'm joking. I'm sure they know what they're doing.

Update: Another interesting *ahem* science story. It's World Jump Day. Holy leaping environmentalists, Batpeople! Are you up (and then down) for it?
Link via the Gurn.

No comments: