Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Aljazeera on the interweb

A while back I mistakenly used a link to aljazeera.com thinking it was the English language website of the TV station of the same name. I later realised that I'd made a mistake and that Aljazeera.net is the official Aljazeera TV station website. Having recently checked Wikipedia, I realise that I'm not the only one to have made this mistake.

There is something odd about the aljazeera.com website but I'm not really sure what it is. I emailed aljazeera.net and they replied:
We would like to inform you that the website that you provided (aljazeera.com) does not relate to us (our English Aljazeera website.)
Aljazeera channel has only two online versions: The English website: http://english.aljazeera.net and the Arabic website: www.aljazeera.net.
I was hoping for something more about what aljazeera.com is and who operates it. Wikipedia says it is London based. The contact details are an address in Dubia. It is not connected to the aljazeera TV station. As Wikipedia points out, aljazeera.com does state this in their about us page. They don't say much else though. I wonder if anyone has any more information about aljazeera.com? I am, as so often, most curious.

No comments: