Sunday, June 05, 2005

Celebrity Hissy Fit

The bigger the star the less considerate they are towards their fans. It seems to have become written in stone as one of the celebrity 10 commandments. Diva's, of both sexes, continually let down their fans at the drop of a hat. It's just one small facet of the vapid celebrity obsessed cultural scenery of the early 21st Century. I find it all rather distasteful.

There are a small number of respected public figures who are able to rise above such self-obsessed posturing. Tragically, one such figure has recently succumbed to the pressures of fame and let himself slide down the slippery slope which comes from believing one's own media hype. This is particulary shocking given the high regard with which I had previously held this once great public figure.

You can read the story of another sad decline into the shallow world of the celebrity here.
It's not hard to imagine the scene as it unfolded in the luxury custom built engine shed trailer:
Manager - "Come on T, they're all waiting for you out there."
T - "I don't care. These people make me sick!"
Manager - "But they've paid a lot of money to see you. You can't let them all down."
T - "I don't give a flying monkeys how much money the great unwashed have paid. I will not do anything until you've brought me 500 blue M&M's and a British Rail tuna and cucumber sandwich!"
Manager - "Now T, you know that BR was sold off years ago.."
T - "GET OUT! How dare you speak to me like that!"

It's enough to bring a tear to the eye. Where have all the role models gone?

No comments: