Thursday, July 28, 2005

It's that word again

I've just noticed this from earlier in the week:
UN seeks definition of terrorism

UN Secretary General Kofi Annan has urged world leaders to agree on a universal definition of terrorism. The bomb attacks in London and Egypt underscored the need for a definition with "moral clarity" and a UN convention against terrorism, he said.
The UN is going to have another go at defining terrorism. While I struggle to resist another scornful remark at the expense of a certain Daily Mail columnist, it's worth asking why the proposals have been stuck in committee for the last nine years. I suspect it'll be informative to watch how the member-states react to this new push for a UN convention.

I'm afraid I'm not overly optimistic. I genuinely hope the UN succeeds though.

No comments: