Thursday, April 20, 2006

Great mysteries of our time

An excellent post over at Backing Blair today. Click click.

One of the things I find so worrying about Blair is that his policies and actions are likely to fuel all sorts of extremism. In my most cynical moments, I wonder whether this is actually an intended outcome. Realistically, I have to say that I think it's very unlikely (I can't say I can say the same about some of his neo-con buddies though). In Blair's case, he seems to suffer some sort of blind spot which makes him unable to grasp basic lessons from history. Perhaps it's to do with the insidious effects of power. Perhaps he just doesn't care. Or perhaps he really is intellectually challenged in some way. It might be a combination of all three. It's hard to say.

Whatever the reason, he has presided over a pronounced and prolonged decline in confidence in mainstream politics and there can be no doubt that his policies and actions have been a primary cause. The irony is, of course, that some of his staunchest supporters can be heard loudly proclaiming that Blair is a great defender of democracy. How they are able to maintain this belief, apparently in all sincerity, is a deeper mystery still.

Tags: , ,

No comments: