Monday, December 05, 2005

A Green Plug

I've been a bit busy today (Monday) with one thing and another so I've not had time to spend on the interwebs or pay much attention to the news. I haven't had time to work out what I think about Gordon's post election economic forecasts or Condoleezza Rice's statement on the rendition process. Well, I did notice that there was quite a bit she didn't say. We've certainly not heard the last word on "extraordinary rendition".

Anyway, one of the things I was doing today was planting ash and rowan trees with the Green Gym (I planted about 40 or so). And you thought I never got more than ten feet away from a keyboard and monitor.

It is, in my opinion, a brilliant concept. Volunteers do various local conservation activities and get some proper excercise along the way. It really does kill two birds with one stone (not real birds obviously; that'd be silly).

If, like me. you try to do your bit for the environment but you're not very good at it, volunteering for the Green Gym might be a good way to get some hands on involvement at a local level. I've certainly enjoyed it immensely since I started going. There's a good atmosphere, you don't need to have any previous experience and everyone works at their own pace.

So, if you've got a spare hour or two, what about it? They've got groups all over the country. If you were to attend the Aberdeen group you might even meet a certain blogger and discover that he's hoplessly inarticulate in the real world. Obviously, I'd have to swear you to secrecy on that though.

No comments: