Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Going for Gold

London is to host the Olympic Games in 2012. Forgive me if I don't jump for joy but from where I live, London is just as far away as Paris. Quite a surprise though.

Btw, Tony Blair lobbying in Singapore in the run up to the G8 summit? Public relations opportunity or hard work behind the scenes to save lives and the planet?

It's only a game Tony. The clue's in the name.

Update
From the above, people might think I wanted Paris to win. I should clarify. I'm pretty ambivalent about this one way or the other.

David Beckham reacts to the news on BBC News 24:
"It's hard to put into words."
Quite.

John Sopel in Paris
The stage that was supposed to play out the celebratory party is being dsismantled. It was a surreal moment of shock when the result came through and while most people have left there has been a gaggle of people locked in an argument ever since. Was it all politics, were there other issues and they're trying to explain conspiracy theories to each other. When Trafalgar Square was shown on the big screen everyone started booing and it's hard to broadcast as people left outside the Hotel de Ville are very upset.
This, just before he was drowned out by a booing French mob. Not long after, cut to crowd in Trafalgar Square chanting "Are you watching, Jacques Chiraq?"
A worthy tribute to Nelson, I'm sure you'll agree.

More French updates
Guido is in Paris and provides this photo for our amusement. You know, that really shouldn't be funny, and yet...
Also in Paris is Katie, with news of the French shrug.

Right, who thinks there'll be something unsavoury being announced by the government right now? I'm off to see if I can find out.

No comments: