Tuesday, August 14, 2007

As things stand, the popularity of the SNP in Scotland is not matched by a desire for independence. Plans to hold a referendum are not likely to get very far. It's an interesting situation for Salmond and for the country.

Also interesting is the fact that I agree with the Labour Party on this one:
The Labour party argues that the nationalists with their independence pledge only emerged the largest party by one seat in the May elections of this year so the party has no mandate.
Of course, I haven't spent the last few years wandering around Westminster shouting "look at the size of my enormous mandate"to all and sundry so I don't feel even slightly hypercritical for adopting that position.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Any idea which way you'd vote?

Garry said...

I don't share the visceral opposition to the SNP displayed by the Scottish Labour Party, it borders on hysterical at times, but I would vote against independence.

I've been meaning to write about the reasons why for ages and will get round to it sooner or later. The short version is that I'm just not big on nationalism. I'm proud to be Scottish but don't see the need to break up the U.K. to express that.

Tartan Hero said...

Does that make you proud to be British too? A British nationalist in other words? I'm never too surprised when someone starts off 'I'm not big on nationalism' but isnt prepared to comment on the biggest nationalists themselves: the post-modern western european nation states of Germany, France, Britain, Spain, Italy.. Have you ever considered 'nationalism' in terms of self-determination and the ability of smaller nations to achieve more than larger nation-states? I'd genuinely be interested in your views on that one.

Garry said...

It's a very good question and sort of lead me on to the next bit of the post I haven't written yet.

While loathe to label myself with a specific doctrine, there's definitely a bit of internationalism in my thinking. In practical terms, I believe that over time, the borders and barriers between nations can and should be broken down and organisational frameworks established to enhance peaceful interaction and cooperation. The union between England and Scotland seems to me to be an example of this principle in action. A war between England and Scotland now seem inconceivable. Likewise with the members of the European Union.

Ultimately, I don't consider the nation state as it has existed in modern times to be a particularly useful concept in human interaction. I believe that devolved regional self-determination within larger frameworks is the way to go.

So, although I'll happily describe myself as Aberdonian, Scottish, British and European, I just don't see the need to create a separate Scottish nation state.