Saturday, January 21, 2006

Uncompromising Investigative Journalism

Now that is a surprise.

As a Liberal Democrat voter, and as someone who detests the "journalism" of Murdoch's minions, I'm not sure if I can be objective about this. The question is, does it matter who Oaten chooses to associate with in his free time? Does it affect his ability to be an effective politician? Why does anyone care who the man sleeps with?

I honestly think this is gutter journalism of the worst kind. Do the public really need to know? I think we would be better served if journalists spent more time investigating the politics of politicians. I think the public would be better served if journalists did not turn idle pub chatter into melodramatic headlines just when the government was getting a bit of stick in the media. I think the public would be better served if journalists did not misuse the word traitor in an attempt to stifle dissent, smear political opponents, curry favour with the government, and promote their owner's agenda.

Traitor

But maybe that's just me.

Tags: , , , ,

No comments: