Sunday, September 25, 2005

One of the good guys

One of the problems with writing about politicians is that cynicism and criticism tend to dominate proceedings. Too much politics is definitely bad for you.* For a change, I thought I'd mention someone who's work I respect and admire.

Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, please show your admiration for Adam Hart-Davis. I first noticed AHD when he started presenting Local Heroes on BBC 2. With his distinctive yellow and pink colour scheme and his mono-fork bicycle, he certainly made a lasting impression. I thought Local Heroes was an interesting and informative programme and AHD has gone on to make many more programmes of a similarly high quality.

What really makes AHD stand out though, is his infectious enthusiasm. I'm certain that it is
totally genuine and not plasticTV enthusiasm (anyone putting it on would surely never take it that far). He really communicates his fascination and wonder for his subject matter, really makes it live somehow. I can say in all honesty that I know a great many things about the world which I would not know if it wasn't for AHD. For example, did you know that a Chinese inventor built a seismograph for the emperor hundreds of years before anyone in the "developed world" managed it? Brilliant, I love knowing stuff like that.

I think it would have been great to have had AHD as a teacher or lecturer. Furthermore, he'd be first pick in my fantasy pub quiz team, and, although I've never met him, he does appear to be a thoroughly nice bloke into the bargain. All in all, he's a person who makes the world a little bit better than it would otherwise be. In my book that's about the best thing anyone can hope to achieve in their life.

For these reasons I say Adam Hart-Davis, we salute you sir!

*This is a very stupid phrase. Of course too much politics is bad for you. Too much of anything is bad for you, that's what "too much" means. Too much water would be bad for you as well. I think it was John Cleese who said this and he was right. Anyway, I'm sure you get what I mean.

No comments: